Tuesday, September 21, 2010


Sawyer's here!

Sawyer made his debut a little early. Wednesday evening around 8:30pm I was laying on the bed talking to Dan about his day while he was changing from work. I was confessing how scared I was getting about Friday mornings scheduled c-section when I heard a pop and then felt a huge gush of water. I jumped up and and said that I think my water just broke. I took off for the bathroom in shock about what was happening. TMI, but the amount of water was just crazy!!!

Tuesday, not very flattering - I am huge!

I had my phone with me, I had been carrying it around with me for weeks - just in case... Called the doctor's office and spoke to the midwife on call. I love her! She is very no-nonsense, which helped a great deal. I was on the verge of freaking out. She just confirmed what we had already discussed-water breaks = head to hospital.

Dan was great. He took care of our dogs and got the car seat in the car. He asked about our bags. Well mine wasn't packed and "I won't need it because I am having a c-section and won't need it until the next day."

We made our way to the hospital and to the check-in desk. We were sent to the c-section area, because Sawyer was transverse. Once i got changed and settled, the midwife did an ultrasound and Sawyer was head down. WHAT??? Even the midwife was shocked. So, now we move to the L&D rooms. After that it was a bit of a blur. I remember around 2am waking up and timing my contractions. 10 minutes, then 7. It seemed to be coming quicker and stronger, so I asked for medicine. I think the nurse forgot and I had to ask again. Around 6am (I think...) I was in a LOT of pain. I needed to go to the bathroom. Not sure if I needed to go, wanted a shower or what, but Dan helped me and was very sweet but concerned. I was starting to lose it a little.

I am pretty sure I got and epidural or some kind of medicine shortly after this because most everything else is a blur.

The next time I remember is the afternoon on Thursday. We tried pushing. Weird - of course I couldn't feel anything, but didn't really feel like I was doing anything when pushing. After a couple of pushes I start to feel sick to my stomach. Pushing didn't work out very well, Sawyer's heart rate kept dropping. My doctor, who wasn't on call, came in (YEAH!) and said okay, let's do the c-section.

I don't remember much about this part either. I remember Dan putting on his "space suit" and moving from my bed to the operating table. I know I was asked some questions about what I could feel. I just kept saying I was fine except for the nausea. Thank goodness for my husband, I ask him again and again to tell me what happened.

The recovery room was interesting. I remember the shaking and the nurses handing me my baby. The first time I get to hold him and I am shaking all over. Sawyer loved it! HA! I was really glad to get to my room and feel a little more settled. The nurses were all fantastic! They were so good.

I was a mess, a HOT mess. My hair was up in a ponytail and it was now knotted up in a rats nest. I was SO happy to have a shower and brush my teeth. SO much better.

Sawyer spent the next day being monitored for breathing issues. Dan and I tried really hard not to freak out. Everything was fine - thank God! The next day he had to go under the lights for jaundice. He did really well, he was so sweet. Sunday we finally got to spend the day together and then got to go home early evening. I was relieved to go home, but didn't realize what it would be like. Next time, when offered, I will accept the extra night!

So, that is the short version! I am so thankful for my sweet, sweet boy and my wonderful husband and making it through my pregnancy and delivery. I prayed every day for this!


ncjelj said...

Holy Cow M! You went through hell! I'm so glad it all worked out! He's just adorable! I can't wait to see him in person!

Donna said...

So glad all the prayers were answered with the blessing of this sweet little guy....CONGRATULATIONS!!!